Disclaimer

DCFire .com is privately owned and operated, it is not an official website for DC Fire & EMS. We offer this website for unofficial purposes only.


Nat'l FF Memorial



YourFirstDue.com Managed web hosting for Fire/EMS

Advertisements







 DCFD COMPANY HISTORY
 Print this page

Company History 

 

The District of Columbia Fire Department is made-up of 33 Engine Companies, 16 Truck Companies, 3 Rescue Companies, 2 fire Boat, 7 Battalions and several EMS units,   

                                     Engine Company 1 & Truck Company 2

 

                                                              2225 M Street NW

Engine Co. 1 was organized with an Amoskeag 600gmp steam fire engine and a real carriage and three horses in July 1 1864 in the Union Fire House at 21st & Pennsylvania Ave NW as a part-time paid company of the Washington City Fire Department.  On January 5, 1867 they moved to 1643 K St NW and on September 23, 1871 they became Engine Co. 1 of DCFD. On October 19, 1960 they moved to their new four bay fire house at 2225 M St NW.

Truck Co. 2 went in service as Truck " B " on January 17, 1879 with a 1877 Babcock Manufacturing Co. Hook & Ladder with 280 feet of ladders. I was located at 1181 New Hampshire Ave NW

                          

                      

                             Engine Company 2 & Rescue Squad 1

  

 

500 F Street NW

 

 Engine 2 was organized with an Amoskeag 600 gpm steam fire engine and a hose real carriage and three horses on July 1, 1864 at the Franklin Vol. Fire House at 1204 D Street NW as a part-time company of the Washington City Fire Department. On September 23, 1871 Engine 2 became part of the District of Columbia Fire Department and moved to a new fire house located at 1468 D Street NW on January 5, 1897. On November 9, 1910  Engine Co. 2  moved again to   719 12th Street, NW and on May 31, 1979 Engine 2 moved into a two-story fire house located at 500 F Street NW.  

 

Rescue Squad 1 On January 20, 1925 Rescue Squad 1 was organized and placed in service in the quarters of Engine 2 at 719 12th Street N.W. as a separate unit. Rescue Squad 1 went in service with a 1913 Seagrave hose wagon converted by the DCFD repair shop to a rescue squad wagon and a 1921 Cadillac 7 passenger touring car converted to an ambulance by the DCFD repair shop On April 14, 1946 Rescue Squad No.1 moved to the old quarters of Engine 14 with Amb. 1. On March 9, 1953 Rescue Squad 1 moved back to the quarters of Engine Company 2 at 719 12th St. N.W. 

 

 Engine Company 3

 

 

439 New Jersey Avenue NW

 

Engine Company 3 was organized also with an Amoskeag 600 gpm steam fire engine and a hose real carriage and three horses on July 1, 1864 at the Columbia Vol. Fire Department at New Jersey Ave  and B St  SE as a part-paid fire department of the Washington City Fire Department. On September 23, 1871 Engine Co. 3 became part of the District of Columbia Fire Department. On May 1, 1875  moved to 308 Delaware Avenue  NE until November 26, 1916 when they moved to a new three-story fire house at 439 New Jersey Avenue NW. Due to staffing and budget problems Engine Company 3 was disbanded on October 31, 1993. Seven years later on March 14, 2000 Engine Company 3 was  re-opened

 

Engine Company 4

 

 

 

 531 Sherman Avenue, NW

 

Engine Company 4 was organized  with a  new steam engine was built by Silsby rated at 600 GPM and was named the "Sayles J. Bowen".  The hose reel carriage was built by McDermott Bros.  on February 2, 1870 and  was known as the "S.J. Brown Engine 4" and South Washington Fire Company 4 at 470 Virginia Avenue  SW. On September 23, 1871 Engine Co. 4 became part of the District of Columbia Fire Department. On September 12, 1940 the company moved to old No. # 7 Engine House at 931 R Street, NW. Thirty-six years later the company moved to a new two-story three bay fire house located at 2531 Sherman Avenue, NW

 

Engine Company 5

 

 

                                 

3412 Dent Place NW  

 

Engine Company 5  was organized as a paid company on April 1, 1867 in the old Vigilant Engine Company Fire House and was known as " Henry Addison Engine 5 " On November 17, 1883 the company moved to the old Georgetown City Hill at 3210 M Street, NW. Many years later, ob July 2, 1940 Engine Company 5 moved to 3412 Dent Place, NW in Georgetown

 

Engine Com-any 6 & Truck Company 4   

 

 

1300 New Jersey Ave NW

 

Engine Company 6  was organized on February 17, 1879  as a paid company of the District of Columbia Fire Department in the old quarters of  Metropolitan Hook & Ladder Company located  at 438 Massachusetts Avenue NW . On June 27, 1974 the company moved to their new fire house at 1300 New Jersey Avenue NW

 

Truck Company 4 On March 1, 1896 Truck Company "D" was placed in service and located at 219 M Street N.W. with an 1896 LaFrance/Hayes 75' aerial ladder truck.  On January 5, 1897 Engine Company 2 moved to new quarters at 15th & D Streets N.W. The old house was remodeled and shortly thereafter Chemical Co. 1 moved in, leaving the quarters of Truck Company C.On June 27, 1974 the company moved to their new fire house at 1300 New Jersey Avenue NW

 

Engine Company 7

 

 

  1101 Half Street, SW

 

Engine Company 7 was organized on January 22, 1885 and located at 931 R Street NW. It was placed in service with a 1885 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and a 1879 McDermott Bros hose reel carriage. On September 12, 1940, the company moved into the quarters of Truck Company 10 at 347 K Street SW.  Twenty-one years later, on December 9, 1961 Engine 7 moved into their new quarters at 1101 Half Street, SW ( next to the fire shop

 

                                                Engine Company 8

 

 

   1520 C Street SE

 

Engine Company 8 was organized on January 22, 1889 at 637 North Carolina Avenue SE The Department's Training School was also located in the rear of the fire house along with the black smith and barns to house the fire department's horses.  On March 25 1964 the company moved to their present location at 1520 C Street SE

 

 

Engine Company 9 & Truck Company 9

  

 

 

1617 U Street NW

 

Engine Company 9 went in service with an 1893 American/Clapp & Jones 600 GPM steam fire engine and an 1893 E.B. Preston hose reel carriage. on September 6, 1893 on September 6, 1893 at 1628 U Street NW. On October 24, 1966 the company moved across the street to a new two bay, one story fire house at 1617 U Street NW

 

Truck Company 9 On.December 28, 1908 Truck Company 9 were organized and placed in service at 1763 Lanier Place N.W with. Engine 21 .Truck 9 was placed in service with an 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 85' aerial ladder truck.On October 27, 1976 Truck Company 9 moved to the quarters of Engine 9 at 1617 U St. N.W.

 

Engine Company 10 & Truck Company 13

 

 

 

1342 Florida Avenue NE

 

Engine Company 10 went in service on July 2, 1895 at 1341 Maryland Ave. N.E. with an 1884 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and an 1895 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage. On June 4, 1940 Engine 10 moved a few weeks to the quarters of Truck Company 13 at 1342 Florida Avenue NE. From 1991 to 2003 Engine 10 has been rated the busiest engine company in the nation.

 

Truck Company 13 On December 9,1925 Truck Company 13 was organized and placed in service at 1342 Florida Ave. N.E. with a 1925 Seagrave 75' aerial ladder truck

 

 

 

Engine Company 11 & Truck Company 6

 

                          

    3119 14TH ST NW

 

Engine Company 11 was organized on July 1, 1897, at 3119 14th St NW.  On June 4, 1940, the company moved to 1338 Park Road NW and on June 5, 1984, the company moved to their 14th St address. 

 

Truck Company 6 On May 13, 1901 Truck Company "F" was organized and placed in service at 1336 Whitney Ave. N.W. (now Park Road N.W.) with a 1901 LaFrance/Hayes 75' aerial ladder truck and a 1901 C.T. Holloway double tank 70 gallon combination chemical hose wagon. June 5, 1984 Truck Company 6 moved to new quarters at 3420 14th Street N.W

 

 

Engine Company 12 & Haz-Mat 1

 

 

 

2225 5th Street NE

 

Engine Company 12  was organized on July 1, 1897 at 1626 North Capital Street NE  On April 30, 1987 the company moved to their present location.  

 

Haz-Mat Unit On February 1, 1984 the Hazardous Material Unit was organized and placed in service as a combination unit with Rescue Squad 3 at 2101 14th St. S.E. with a reserve 1966 Ford/Bruco Rescue Squad converted by DCFD shop to HazMat Unit.On  April 30, 1987 HazMat Unit and Engine Co. 12 moved to new quarters at 2225 5th Street N.

 

Engine Company 13 & Truck Company 10

 

 

450 6th Street SW

 

Engine Company 13 was organized on November 26, 1904 at 942 G Street SW until they moved in their new fire house on 6th St SW on October 21, 1960.

 

Truck Company 10 On March 31, 1910 Truck Company 10 was organized and placed in service at 347 K Street S.W. with a 1908 American La France 65' aerial ladder truck September 29, 1960 Truck 10 moved to new quarters at 450 6th Street SW.

 

Engine Company 14

 

 

 

 

 4801 North Capitol Street NE

 

Engine Company 14     was organized on June 8, 1898 at 413 G St SW.  On June 14, 1945 the company moved to a new fire house at their on North Capitol St NE

 

 

Engine Company 15 & Rescue Squad 3

 

 

 2101 V ST SE

 

Engine Company 15 was organized at their present location  on April 15 1898.

 

Rescue Squad 3 On June 14, 1958 Rescue squad 3 was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 32 located at 2425 Irving St. S.E. with a 1957 Pirsch Custom Rescue Squad.3 On  April 30, 1965 Rescue Squad 3 moved to the quarters of Engine 8 at 1520 C St. S.E. On July 12, 1974 Rescue Squad 3 moved to the quarters of Engine 15 at 2101 14th St. S.E

 

Engine Company 16 & Tower Ladder 3

 

 

 1018 13TH ST NW

 

Engine Company 16 was placed in service on October 24, 1904, at 1204 D St NW.  On June 30, 1931, the company moved to 14th & Ohio Dr NW.  On December 16, 1932, the company move to the 13th Street address

 

Tower Ladder 3 September 6, 1891 Truck Company "C" was placed in service with the first Chemical Company 1 at 14th Street & Ohio Ave. N.W. Truck C went in service with an 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 85' aerial ladder truck and Chemical Company 1 went in service with an 1891 C. T. Holloway double tank 160 gallon chemical engine. December 16, 1932, Truck Company 3, and Water Tower No.1 moved to new quarters at 1018 13th Street N.W. 

 

 

Engine Company 17

 

 

 

 

 1227 Monroe St, NE

 

On April 22, 1905, The District of Columbia Fire Department placed Engine Co. 17 at their present location at 1227 Monroe St, NE

 

 

 Engine Company 18 & Truck Company 7

 

 

   414 8th Street  SE

 

Engine Company 18 On November 18, 1905 Engine Company 18 was organized at 1001 9th Street S.E. with a 1905 American La France Metropolitan 600 GPM steam fire engine and an 1898 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage. 

 

Truck Company 7 April 28, 1904 Truck Company "G" was organized and placed in service at 414 8th Street S.E. with an 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 75' aerial ladder truck

 

 

 Engine Company 19

 


 

2813 Pennsylvania Ave SE.

 

Engine Company 19 was organized on December 8, 1905 was the first Fire Boat Company for DCFD at 7th & Water St SW. Fifteen years later, on September 28, 1920 the company was disbanded as the fire boat company and was reorganized as a land company at their present location 2813 Pennsylvania Ave SE.

 

                                    Engine Company 20 & Truck Company 12

 

 

4300 Wisconsin Ave, NW

 

Engine Company 20 On January 23, 1907 Engine Company 20 was organized at their present location 4300 Wisconsin Ave, NW

 

Truck Company 12 On July 7, 1913 Truck Company 12 was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 20 with a 1913 Webb/Couple Gear gasoline/electric 75' aerial ladder truck. 

 

Engine Company 21

 

 

 1763 Lanier Pl NW

 

Engine Company 21 was organized on December 28, 1908 at their present location

 

Engine Company 22 & Truck 11

 

 

5760 Georgia Ave NW

 

Engine Company 22  was organized at their present location on  December 2, 1908.

 

Truck Company 11 On December 2, 1908 went in service at Engine Company 22's quarters  Truck Company 11 went in service with a 1907 American La France combination 100 gallon chemical, hose, 50' city service truck which had been used as Chemical 2

 

Engine Company 23

 

 

 2219 G ST NW

 

Engine Company 23 was placed in service at their present location on November 25, 1910

 

Engine Company 24 & Rescue Squad 2

 

 

 

 .  5101 George Ave NW

 

Engine Company 24 was placed in service on November 29, 1911 at 3702 Georgia Ave NW. The fire house was sold to Metro and the site was turned into a Metro Station subway stop. The front of the fire house was moved around the corner on New Hampshire Ave and is used by Metro as a transformer station . In May of 1994 the company moved into their new fire house at 5101 Georgia Ave NW. The new fire house was designed by member of the company and built by Metro.

 

Rescue Squad 2 On June 18, 1927 Rescue Squad No.2 was organized and placed in service as a combination unit with Engine Company 11. When dispatched as a Rescue Squad, Engine 11's hose wagon was used as the Rescue Squad. Engine 11's pumper would then be staffed by extra men from nearby Truck Company 6 and then Engine 11 would be back in service running as a single piece engine company until the wagon returned. The hose wagon was a 1926 Seagrave hose wagon with added rescue equipment by DCFD repair shop. On May 21, 1946 Rescue Squad 2 and Ambulance 2 moved to the quarters of Engine Company 14 at 4801 North Capitol St. N.E On April 14, 1958 Rescue Squad 2 moved to the quarters of Engine 24 at 3702 Georgia Ave. N.W.

 

Engine Company 25

 

 

 

 3203 Martin L. King Ave SE

 

July 2, 1913 Chemical Company 5 was disbanded and replaced with the organization of Engine Company 25 at the same location. Engine 25 went in service with a 1913 Ahrens Fox 700 GPM motor pumper. (ran as combination hose wagon and pumper).  

 

 

 ENGINE COMPANY 26 & Truck Company 15

 

 

 

1340 Rhodie Island Ave NE 

 

Engine Company 26 On July 9, 1913 the second Chemical Company 3 was disbanded and replaced with the organization of Engine Company 26 at the same location. Engine 26 went in service with an 1893 Clapp & Jones 600 GPM steam fire engine and the same US Fire Apparatus combination chemical/hose wagon used as Chemical 3. June 10, 1940,  Engine company 26 to Truck 15's quarters                           

 

Truck Company 15 April 21, 1937 Truck Company 15 was organized and placed in service at 1340 Brentwood Road N.E. (address later changed to 1340 Rhodie Island Ave. N.E.) with a reserve 1919 American La France 85' aerial ladder truck. It was replaced shortly thereafter with a 1923 American La France 75' aerial ladder truck 

 

Engine Company 27

 

 

4201 Minnesota Ave. N.E

 

Engine Company 27 On June 15, 1914 the second Chemical Company 1 was disbanded and replaced by the organization of Engine Company 27 at the same location. Engine 27 went in service with a 1906 American La France Metropolitan 500 GPM steam fire engine and a 1903 American La France 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon.  

 

Engine Company 28 & Truck Company 14

 

 

3522 Connecticut Ave. N.W.

 

Engine Company 28 On December 1, 1916 Engine Company 28 was organized and placed in service at 3522 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1915 American La France 750 GPM pumper and a 1915 American La France gasoline combination chemical/hose wagon

 

Truck Company 14 On June 15, 1926 Truck Company 14 was organized and placed in service with Engine 28 at 3522 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1915 Christie Front Wheel Drive Tractor attached to a 1908 American La France 65' aerial ladder truck 

 

Engine Company 29 & Truck Company 5

 

 

4811 MacArthur Blvd. NW

 

Engine Company 29 On December 9, 1925 Engine Company 29 was organized and placed in service at 4811 Conduit Road N.W. (now renamed MacArthur Blvd.) with a 1919 American La France 750 GPM pumper and a 1919 American La France gasoline combination chemical/hose wagon. 

 

Truck Company 5 On November 12, 1900 Truck "E" was organized and placed in service at 3412 S Street N.W. (this part of S Street was renamed Dent Place in 1910). Truck E went in service with a 1900 LaFrance/Hayes 65' aerial ladder truck On January 12, 1987 Truck Company 5 moved to the quarters of Engine 29 at 4811 MacArthur Blvd. N.W.

 

 

Engine Company 30 & Truck Company 17

 

 

 

 

 

 # 50 49th Street NE

 

Engine Company 30 and Truck Company 17  was organized on March 27, 1955 at their present location #50 49th St, NE. The company was to be located and built in the late 1920's  at 16th & Webster St NW, but due to protest by the citizens in the area  which led to a court order the fire house was never built in northwest. 

 

Truck Company 17  was organized on March 27, 1955 at their present location #50 49th St, NE. The company was to be located

 

 

 Engine Company 31

 

 

4930 Connecticut Ave NW

 

Engine Company 31 On November 28, 1930 Engine Company 31 was organized and placed in service at 4930 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1931 American La France 750 GPM pumper and a 1931 American La France booster hose wagon

 

Engine Company 32 & Truck Company 16

 

 

 

2425 Irving St SE

 

       Engine Company 32 was organized on October 12th, 1957 at their present location

 

 June 25, 1985 Truck 16 moved back to it's original quarters with Engine 19 at 2813 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E. On December 1, 1989 Truck 16 moved to the quarters of Engine 32 at 2425 Irving St. S.E. 

                          

                              Engine Company 33 & Truck Company 8

 

 

101 Atlantic Street SE

 

Engine Company 33 was organized on January 11th, 1987 at their present location

 

Truck Company 8 November 2, 1904 Truck Company "H" was organized and placed in service with Chemical Company 5. Truck H went in service with a 1904 American La France/Hayes 55' aerial ladder truck. On November 1, 1987 Truck 8 moved to the quarters of Engine 33 at 101 Atlantic St. S.E. 

 

 Fire Boat

 

 

 

 

Pier 5 550 Main Street SW

 

December 8, 1905 the first Fire Boat was placed in service and organized as the first Engine Company 19. The boat was named the "Firefighter" and was built by the Harlan & Hollingsworth Co. of Wilmington, Delaware in 1905 and equipped with two Duplex fire pumps, built by the Blake Pump Co., Cambridge, Mass. and rated at 6,000 GPM total capacity. 

 

September 28, 1920 the Fire Boat is renumbered to Fireboat No.1 and the third Chemical Company 2 was disbanded and replaced by the organization of the second Engine Company 19. Engine 19 went in service with an 1889 Clapp & Jones 600 GPM steam fire engine and a 1908 American La France 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon. 

 

Disbanded Companies

 

Engine Company 34  

 

Engine Company 34 was  located on the grounds of St Elizabeth Hospital located at 2700 Martin Luther King Ave SE. The department and the hospital were turned over to the District of Columbia Government by the Federal Government on October 1, 1987.  The company only ran calls on the grounds of the hospital.  On October 31, 1993 due to staffing and budget problems the Engine Company 34 and Engine Company 3 were disband.

 

Truck Company 1 

 

In 1876 the  Metropolitan Hook & Ladder known as Truck A was placed in service at the quarters of Engine 3 On October 31,1993 Truck Company 1 was placed out of service due to staffing and budget problems

 

Rescue Squad 4

 

October 10, 1976 Rescue Squad 4 was organized and placed in service as a combination unit with Engine 31 at 4930 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1966 Ford/Bruco Custom Rescue Squad.On October 31,1993 Rescue Squad 4  was placed out of service due to staffing and budget problems

 

 






Login



Copyright © 2006-2014. YourFirstDue Inc.. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Content on this web site is supplied by dcfire.com. YourFirstDue Inc. cannot be held responsible or liable for any content, text, pictures, or any other media found on this web site. Maintained by the members and staff of dcfire.com.

This site has been
viewed 3,300,380 times.